27 Mar 2020
Military.com | By Oriana Pawlyk
The Defense Department has officially launched a webpage on its website to dispel rumors and misinformation regarding the Pentagon's response to the novel coronavirus outbreak.
Dubbed "Coronavirus: Rumor Control," the Pentagon will provide its response to myths and fabrications about how the U.S. has responded as coronavirus cases continue to spread within the country and among the ranks, according to officials.
"In times of crisis, it's important to be transparent and push back on false narratives," Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah told reporters during a briefing Wednesday. "As the secretary, chairman and senior enlisted adviser stated in their town hall yesterday, it's important to go to trusted sources for information.
"Last week, the department pushed back on a false conspiracy theory being promulgated by a senior official in the Chinese Communist Party, blaming U.S. Army soldiers for spreading COVID-19," she said, referring to the World Health Organization's name for the coronavirus. "This is not the only case of misinformation and disinformation springing up during this tense period of time. While we hope nations around the globe – allies and adversaries alike – will come together in this moment to be transparent, the Department of Defense will not hesitate to push back on misinformation."